- 100 grams egg whites
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 5 drops green food coloring
- Sprinkles of choice
- 1 tablespoon melted chocolate
- Powdered sugar “snow”
- 20 Hot Cocoa Moravian Cookie Thins
- Before making meringue, it’s important that all of the utensils are free from any trace of grease. To ensure this, wipe down all of the equipment you’ll be using with lemon juice or white vinegar.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Prep a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside. Also prep a piping bag with a Wilton 1M star tip.
- Begin by making the meringue. Heat a small pot of water on the stove top until it begins to simmer. In a large bowl, add the egg whites, cream of tartar, and a few spoonfuls of sugar.Using a whisk, whisk the egg whites and sugar over the simmering pot until white and frothy, about 1 minute.
- Immediately transfer the bowl to a stand mixer or use a handheld mixer. Begin mixing on medium-low, slowly adding spoonfuls of the rest of the sugar. Increase the speed to high and continue adding sugar until it’s used up.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring, depending on color preference. Continue mixing until stiff peaks form, about 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer meringue to the prepped piping bag and pipe christmas trees onto a baking sheet by creating circular swirls until a tree forms. Add sprinkles.
- Bake the meringues for 2 hours. After 2 hours, turn off the oven and leave the cookies in the oven to let slowly cool and dry. Let cool completely.Once the meringues have cooled, place a dollop of melted chocolate in the middle of each Hot Cocoa Cookie Thin and carefully attach the Christmas tree meringues. Top with powdered sugar “snow” if desired. Enjoy!
Notes: These meringue cookies are best the day of, but store in an airtight container in the fridge, and they’ll last a few more days.